Straton Selected to Support Mars 2020 Rover Project
STRATFORD, CT – April 28, 2016, Straton Industries has been selected by Jet Propulsion Labs (JPL) in Pasadena, CA to supply custom parts for the Mars 2020 Rover Project.
The Mars 2020 rover for this mission would be based on the Mars Science Laboratory‘s Curiosity rover configuration. It would be car-sized, about 10 feet long (not including the arm), 9 feet wide, and 7 feet tall (about 3 meters long, 2.7 meters wide, and 2.2 meters tall).
The Mars 2020 rover would have a:
- body: a structure that protects the rovers’ “vital organs”
- brains: computers to process information
- temperature controls: internal heaters, a layer of insulation, and more
- “neck and head“: a mast for the cameras to give the rover a human-scale view
- eyes and other “senses”: cameras and instruments that give the rover information about its environment
- arm and “hand”: a way to extend its reach and collect rock samples for study
- wheels and “legs”: parts for mobility
- energy: batteries and power
- communications: antennas for “speaking” and “listening”
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federally funded research and development center and NASA field center located in La Cañada Flintridge, California and Pasadena, California, United States.